[plug] Smartlist/Exim and Westnet

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Wed May 5 17:29:13 WST 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, John Usher (Maptek) wrote:
> >Are you sure you aren't thinking of some non UNIX-like OS, or is this
> >something that has changed over the decades (sounds fishy!)? Both
> modern
> >SysV systems and BSD (for example) expect canonical first, then
> aliases.
> >I've always found it makes /quite/ a difference. <shrug>

> I am thinking IRIX in particular, and even SunOS and Linux systems.
>
> Thinking about it a bit more, I reckon it comes down to the application
> and the code it uses to get the expected FQDN...

Exim uses uname() first.  If that doesn't come back with a FQDN then it
uses the output of uname() with gethostbyname(), which (it would seem)
checks /etc/hosts first.  So it's the way that glibc does it.  AFAIK most
linux distros use the gnu libc.  I can't check on my Irix machine at the
moment how that does it.  I left the machine in the UK with a mate,
unfotunately he moved and is waiting for his ADSL to be connected.

Regards,
--
Mark O'Shea