[plug] [OT] PDA/phones

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Thu May 6 21:00:56 WST 2004

The XDA has a very good hacker website at
http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php
I've come sooooo close to doing my XDA (not the II), but the Optus ROMs are
not up to par. I mean, this is a *tool*, and while it's cool to have a ssh
terminal, it's better to be able to tie in notes, recordings, and contacts
in with a call.
The XDA is heavier, slower, and has no bluetooth (compared to the XDA II),
but it'll take a miracle for me to part with it now :)

As succinct I can put it, the P900 uses SymbianOS, the XDAII uses
PocketPC2003.
The P900 is also smaller and has less overhang around the screen.
I do like the extra programs you can get for PocketPC, as it's not too much
of a jump for the tinkering programmers that make good useful utilities. So
far with the Symbian stuff, if there's any util to do a job, it's pretty
much all that's out there.

Grab this months APC (May), as there's a comparison on pc-phone combos.
It also compares talk time and standby time....

Craig F.