[plug] windows - a rant

George Raphael gmraphael at dsgaustralia.com
Fri May 7 16:48:59 WST 2004

I didn't want to write this email... but Garry crying over windows update
and everyone having there two cents worth... I thought I would through mine
in too... its free...

There are clearly some very poor operating systems. Two that come to mind
are Windows 98 and Mac OS 7. They weren't even good at the time. DOS was
more stable.

However, Windows 2000, XP, Mac OS X are good operating systems for the
specific tasks that they were designed for - which could be word processing,
email, etc. Linux/Unix have a place too... for example as servers.

Now you can use a Linux box as a desktop machine and you can use a windows
box as a server... but you will find that you will be more successful having
a Linux box as a desktop OS than Windows box as a server...

All my servers are Linux based as I have no faith in Microsoft Servers. For
desktop machines, Win2K is sufficient... until it blue screens :)

Back to Gary's problem with windows update... yes it does F@#kup
sometimes... but it may not necessarily be Microsoft update's fault... it
could be your ISP.

Regards

G.