[plug] windows - a rant

nofixed at netscape.net nofixed at netscape.net
Fri May 7 20:01:29 WST 2004

Ryan <ryan at is.as.geeky.as> wrote:

>Have you looked to see what the windows updates send OUT of the machine?
>
>Most of the updates post information back to Microsoft if they can,
>sometimes in the order of hundreds of kilobytes.
>
>I was at one of our smaller sites earlier in the week and I
>simultaneously updated about 5 machines.  They got the updates from my
>crafty squid cache, then it was taking FOREVER to install, so i noticed
>what was going on and ripped all the network cables out.  The updates
>finished almost instantly and all was well.

I think MS is probably not to blame here.  I had the same problem, and found a program with a name similar to sysconf (can't remember exactly)  was the problem.  I only noticed things a bit odd when I came back and found I had sent 22MB !!!  It is a distributed denial of service attack program.  If it happens again, check the process list for a process using around 20% cpu.  Until the updates are applied, you should have 90+% idle.  Look in ...Windows/System32 for it.  Hold the cursor over the name of many of the files in that directory and you will get MS information.  The baddie does not.  To verify, check the name you find on the web.  I found a number of references to it.

HTH
Jim

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.