[plug] Re: Windows - a rant

Kev k.downes at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 8 10:35:42 WST 2004

> Decided to do a XP update this morning. What a trauma.
>
> During "Critical Updates", it didn't want me to open new programs (or
> take the focus). OK, fair nuff, it's not multitasking.
> Then it decides that there is a IP address conflict on the network.
> Fixed IPs... Click "OK" a few times. Restart the update.
>
> Once all the criticals are done, it's time for the others.. I click them
> all, only to be told that if I update one (Directx9 I think) all the
> others are deselected.. So I do all except that one.. 14MB d/l. At
> 13.8MB it sits. Ahh well, guess I'll have to restart that too.
>
> After using Linux, simple networking stuff in Windows is esoteric -
> bordering on cryptic. And they say this is good interface design! This
> is separate, a few days ago.
>
> Something that is often said in the media is Linux is "not ready for the
> desktop". For some engineered difficulties in/and specific tasks this is
> true. But if those commentators were fair, they'd have to say that
> Windows isn't "ready for the destop" either. The difference is, Windows
> has OS structural baggage which limit it, Linux has application
> limitations. So if the commentators were not locked into file formats or
> whatever, the Linux experience would be what the Windows experience
> *should* be.
>
> Garry
>
> the only reason I bother with windows is streaming WMP radio. Guess I
> should try to get wine to do WMP, but I'd rather not infect my nice
> stable laptop with MS software..

I'd have to agree with you on all but 1 point.  As one who has only
recently (weeks ago) moved over to Linux from OS/2 (now also released as
eCS) I see that there is no doubt at all that Linux is still not ready
for the great unwashed.  Still far too shrouded in jargon and esoteric
commands and file names etc.  OS/2 is what Wintendo and Linux want to be
when they grow up.

Why quit OS/2 you ask?  Well, ALL systems have their problems.  OS/2's
(eCS's) major problem area is lack of (driver) support for modern
hardware, and unfortunately is isn't likely to get better soon.

Don't get me wrong - I really do admire Linux and see it as the great
hope for a mass accepted alternative to Windoze, but don't kid yourself
that it has anywhere near the polish or useability of OS/2 (yet!!).

If, as some rumours have suggested, IBM IS porting the "Work Place
Shell" (from OS/2) over to Linux, then you will see the greatest OS to
hit the planet in recorded history (so far).

Cheers
Kev