[PLUG] VNC, SSH, and iptables [was: Transfering mozilla mail and newsgroup settings fromlinux to windows]

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sun May 9 19:44:22 WST 2004

Thanks for the idea, Michael. A friend of mine gave me a 14 inch monitor, so I installed the vnc server on the loinux box and set up a password. I then did an "su -l" and turned off the Fedora firewall for it to work! I was able to forward the emails I required to myself. What I would like to do now is the following (and I've been searching around for a couple of days and not making much progress):

1. Open a hole in the Fedora firewall for SSH (putty) from my laptop. Unless I'm mistaken, Fedora uses a generated file that it tells you not to edit to load the iptables rules on startup. Is it okay to edit this file? Do I only need to open a hole at TCP port 22? How can I tell is OpenSSH is already running (ps -aux | grep openssh)?

2. When I connect using PuTTy to the Fedora box from my windows laptop, how should I initiate the VNC environment? The other day I was using RealVNC 4.0beta from my WinXP desktop.

Thanks,

Ari