[PLUG] VNC, SSH, and iptables [was: Transfering mozilla mail and newsgroup settings fromlinux to windows]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun May 9 19:53:48 WST 2004

In message <20040509114422.1A1314160BE at ws5-2.us4.outblaze.com>
on Sun, May 09, 2004 at 07:44:22PM +0800, Ari Finander wrote:
> 1. Open a hole in the Fedora firewall for SSH (putty) from my laptop.

I would be disturbed if Febora actually needed a firewall by default, as
operating systems with sane defaults don't need firewalls by default
(everyone probably disagrees with me, and I would be interested to know
the counterarguments, as 'personal firewalls' seem like some sort of fad
to me).

> How can I tell is OpenSSH is already running (ps -aux | grep openssh)?

You could try `pgrep sshd`, but this would also include any
currently-active SSH connections. A more definitive method on most
hosts to run `telnet localhost ssh` -- if you get 'connection refused'
then the daemon is not running. If it is running, you will get an
answerback (then, escape from telnet by pressing control-[ and
entering 'quit' at the resulting prompt).