Streaming 6pr (was Re: [plug] windows - a rant)

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Mon May 10 15:31:41 WST 2004

Trevor Phillips wrote:
| On Friday 07 May 2004 13:56, Garry wrote:
|
|>Does your mplayer work with  http://6pr.com.au/live.asx ?
|>I get:
|>
|>- --snip--
|>Connecting to server 6pr.com.au[203.30.44.22]:80 ...
|>size_confirm mismatch!: 22611 28271
|>Error while parsing chunk header
|>Unknown protocol: http
|>asf_streaming_start failed
|>Unable to open URL: http://6pr.com.au/live.asx
|>Option stream url: This URL doesn't have a hostname part.
|>File not found: 'live.asx'
|>Failed to open http://6pr.com.au/live.asx
|>
|>Obviously i'm missing a codec or somming..
|

| I got it to work - but not quite as easily as that - but not very hard
either.

| After a similar failure, I went:
|   wget http://6pr.com.au/live.asx
|   cat live.asx
| picked out the <ENTRY> <REF HREF=....> URL, and then:
|   mplayer http://203.30.47.38/6pr
|
| Which, after a while buffering, started playing fine.
|
| This is on a Debian Testing system, with those Marillat packages,
including
| the w32codecs package.
|
| My experience is a lot of these streaming formats start with a meta
file, so
| if you just wget them, you can often rummage around inside for the
next URL
| to try. Why mplayer can't do this itself I'm not sure...

EXCELLENT! Works a beauty, thanks Trevor.

Regards

Garry

- --

When a house is getting long in the tooth, less functional and less
attractive, it gets a renovation.

When a computer system is slow to respond, broken down or incapable, it
is overhauled.

When a car has lost its gloss but brings enough memories of good times
to overcome the desire for a newer model, it is restored.

Funny thing, political correctness.

Women get a makeover.
							(c)GB 2004  8^)==