Streaming 6pr (was Re: [plug] windows - a rant)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon May 10 15:22:23 WST 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 13:56, Garry wrote:

> Does your mplayer work with  http://6pr.com.au/live.asx ?
> I get:
>
> - --snip--
> Connecting to server 6pr.com.au[203.30.44.22]:80 ...
> size_confirm mismatch!: 22611 28271
> Error while parsing chunk header
> Unknown protocol: http
> asf_streaming_start failed
> Unable to open URL: http://6pr.com.au/live.asx
> Option stream url: This URL doesn't have a hostname part.
> File not found: 'live.asx'
> Failed to open http://6pr.com.au/live.asx
>
> Obviously i'm missing a codec or somming..

I got it to work - but not quite as easily as that - but not very hard either.

After a similar failure, I went:
  wget http://6pr.com.au/live.asx
  cat live.asx
picked out the <ENTRY> <REF HREF=....> URL, and then:
  mplayer http://203.30.47.38/6pr

Which, after a while buffering, started playing fine.

This is on a Debian Testing system, with those Marillat packages, including
the w32codecs package.

My experience is a lot of these streaming formats start with a meta file, so
if you just wget them, you can often rummage around inside for the next URL
to try. Why mplayer can't do this itself I'm not sure...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |