[plug] wonky keyboard config in suse 9

Sol Hanna sol at autonomon.net
Mon May 10 16:19:16 WST 2004

Hi all,

First a thankyou to those kind pluggers that gave me the low down on NFS
configs. I've installed two new PCs with /home mounted from a dir on the
server. I'm just gonna check it out for a couple of weeks to see if it
will take.

Whilst installing suse 9 on these new PCs I came across an odd problem.
I found that in KDE some keys (ie:"-=)(") gave me different characters.
So I went into Yast found that I had already chosen a US keyboard
layout, found that the test worked fine, and then saved. (So I didn't
actually change any setting, just went into Yast and came back out).
Then all was fine. After logging out, and then logging back in again I
came across the same problem. So I went into yast...(same steps as
before)... and all was fine again. Until I logged out and logged back in
again! :(

What's going on? I've just got a couple of standard M$ multimedia
keyboards with a standard US layout. I've no problem on another PC
running using a similar keyboard. Any ideas?

thankyou; sol