[plug] [OT] CPU plate cleaning

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue May 11 09:22:42 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:

> Thanks Ari,
>
>I thought the silver based stuff was just another crazy product they try
>and sell us and I've been using the standard thermal compound paste. I'd
>be interested in seeing/hearing how much of a difference it makes.

Back in the days when I had an Athlon (1.2Ghz T-Bird and a XP 1600+), I
used arctic silver thermal paste.  Versus the thermal pads and standard
white thermal paste that came with some heatsinks, it dropped the
temperature by 3-5 degrees.

Now things are different, both AMDs and Intels come with heatsinks and
fans that should be more than sufficient to cool them properly.

/ Ben