[plug] Windows is amazing

Michael quadfour at iinet.net.au
Wed May 12 11:37:05 WST 2004

Some entertainment for y'all and a red face for me. Twice in the last 2
weeks I've found Windows doing things that I had stated were impossible.
The first one isn't really too amazing but you'll like the second one :)

First one was windows being able to ping a router's IP address that was on
a different network than windows's IP on a PPP link, but nothing on the
otherside of the router. It was getting destination host unreachable etc
besides being able to get to an IP on a different network (not
physically). The default gateway was set and everything looked fine. The
cause was found to be windows picking up an IP by DHCP, but forgetting to
pickup the gateway despite connecting to it ;)

Second problem was with sending email. When sending to a domain other than
the senders domain an error 553 domain isn't in my list of allowed RPCT
hosts. There were no problems with the SMTP and the problem couldn't be
replicated. It was then tested by telnetting direct to the mailserver,
exact same problems, 553ing any domain except for the senders domain. The
connection was through a static IP too. Restarted windows and it started
working!. Somehow windows was manipulating the text input and giving
something else to the SMTP server.

Enjoy!

Michael Collard