[plug] Windows is amazing

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Wed May 12 11:50:26 WST 2004

I realise that this is off topic (the L in PLUG stands for..?), and I'm
no fan of Windows, but these don't seem all that amazing to me.

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:37:05AM +0800, Michael wrote:
> The cause was found to be windows picking up an IP by DHCP, but
> forgetting to pickup the gateway despite connecting to it ;)

Any chance that this was on an unpatched Windows 2000 box with more than
one network interface?  You might like to check out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;269879

Of course, this assumes that the DHCP server is actually issuing a
default gateway, which it doesn't have to.

> Restarted windows and it started working!. Somehow windows was
> manipulating the text input and giving something else to the SMTP
> server.

I'd be more inclined to suspect that this was a temporary issue with the
SMTP server you were sending to, rather than Windows manipulating
network traffic.

Do we really need to spend all our time on this list bagging other OSes
(particularly Windows)?  We get grumpy when Microsoft fans FUD linux, so
perhaps we should set an example to follow and be careful not to do the
same thing in return.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | For every complex problem, there is a
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | solution that is simple, neat, and