[plug] lj2ps compiling problem

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Wed May 12 13:10:39 WST 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Ryan wrote:

> Hi PLUG,
>
> I'm trying to compile this:
>
> http://www-wisconsin.cern.ch/~lishka/progs/lj2ps/lj2ps_intro.html
>
> It gives me the error:
>
> ryan at vaio:~/lj2ps$ make
> Makefile:95: warning: overriding commands for target `lj2ps'
> Makefile:72: warning: ignoring old commands for target `lj2ps'
> cc -O   -c -o errors.o errors.c
> cc -O   -c -o lj.o lj.c
> cc -O   -c -o lj2ps.o lj2ps.c
> cc -O   -c -o ljcmds.o ljcmds.c
> cc -O   -c -o ljfonts.o ljfonts.c
> cc -O   -c -o scan.o scan.c
> cc -O   -c -o trans.o trans.c
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ryan/lj2ps'
> Makefile:95: warning: overriding commands for target `lj2ps'
> Makefile:72: warning: ignoring old commands for target `lj2ps'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ryan/lj2ps'
> Makefile:95: warning: overriding commands for target `lj2ps'
> Makefile:72: warning: ignoring old commands for target `lj2ps'
>
> make keep recursing as long as you leave it and never finishes, it just
> increments make[3] make[4] etc with the same error.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be doing this?  It is beyond me,
> however I realise it is extremely old software.

Well, the problem looks like it might be on the lines 72 and/or 95 of the
makefile.  What do these lines say?  There might be some variables that
are set to the same thing, so giving two targets for the same thing.
Variables will be in the form of $(CC) where CC is the variable name here.
They are usually defined higher up in the Makefile.

Also if the source has a README file with it that might tell you what
needs to be changed in the makefile to get it to compile on your platform.

Regards,
--
Mark O'Shea