[plug] Debmirror or what?

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Thu May 13 10:18:16 WST 2004

Quoth Harry:

> If you consistently install identical packages, how about looking at
> apt-proxy ? I haven't used it but I remember Scott from LinuxIT
> gave it good reports for their office debian installations.

Yes, we used it here, and it worked great.  We now have a complete Debian
mirror so we don't need the proxy, although we do still proxy
security.debian.org

If anyone's interested:

deb http://waixcolo.linuxit.com.au:9999/security woody/updates main contrib non-free

WAIX only, on a 10Mb link

> It might be fun to setup a few servers at the installfest so people can
> park a machine and rsync a mirror. Even 18G might be served to a few
> machines if they have all day to do it. Once you have a base mirror,
> keeping it up to date isn't as difficult.

We were planning to bring the LinuxIT fileserver along to the installfest
- it has a complete Debian mirror (~100GB) as well as more Linux ISOs than
you can poke a stick at.

We can also bring a 24port switch, if needed.

Regards,

 - Matt Kemner
   Linux IT