[plug] power saving features? sleep etc.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 13 16:36:07 WST 2004

Brad Campbell wrote:
> I even suspend it to boot into win2k or dos for testing stuff, and then
> reboot into linux to pickup where I left off.

Yeah. I used to have 2k on my laptop, as I needed it for some network
admin tools and to use my modem on those rare occasions it sees use. I
used to hibernate win2k too (2k's hibernate is incredible - it even
copes with hardware changes like the removal of an active disk while
hibernated).

> 2.6 is completely disfunctional on my laptop, I have issues with swsusp,
> the radeonfb driver, the synaptics touchpad driver, the winmodem (which
> works under 2.4), my cardbus SATA card and my cardbus USB2 card. Under
> 2.4 all of these besides the cardbus SATA card work flawlessly. I have
> not yet managed to come up with a viable reason to upgrade on my laptop.

Cardbus SATA?!? Wow. I actually need to get one of those - it'd be
incredibly handy, as the POST does SATA disk backups.

> <falls to knees in praying position> Please give me a stable 2.6 kernel
> that works at least as well as 2.4 for slightly non-mainstream stuff.

Yeah. I've been lucky, in that for me 2.6 has been better, but 2.6 is
really still "2.5.mostly-done-now-really" to far too many people. It's
core-stable, but not driver-stable.

Craig Ringer