[plug] Dead hdd

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri May 14 10:02:04 WST 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:42:30 +0800 Ben Jensz <plug at jensz.id.au> wrote:

> I've seen this work myself... stick it in a ziplock bag overnight in the
> freezer and connect the drive up ASAP and flog as much data off as you
> can.

Did you blokes ever suspect that thermal problems were probably the board
and so all that was needed was a trusty can of freeze spray ?

It may even have isolated the faulty component. I've fixed some very
expensive gear, sans schematics, doing this.

I now admit to _running_ an atrocious Dick Smith 300 baud modem
in the freezer in the past. Wires out the door and through to the office.
It was a fairly novel but unsuccessful solution.

Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/