[plug] Greetings All - Advice Sought

linuxlist at perthmagic.com linuxlist at perthmagic.com
Fri May 14 15:24:40 WST 2004

I don't know if it is customary here to introduce oneself but to save time, I will take the risk.

My name is Ray, I live in Balga, work in Tuart Hill, and I am building a Linux server after 25 years of being away from a UNIX environment.
I feel as if I am in the right neighborhood but the keys to the houses don't work. Sound familiar?

My goal is to build a the server for a Windows XP network where one Windows machine is the gateway to a broadband link and the Linux box
allows me to dial in from another location and use the broadband via a 56k link. My learning curve on Linux is smooth but not rapid. If
anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any advice on making it work.

I have a diagram for the actual intended network at:
http://www.hawksnest.info/images/wan.pdf

To summarize, two Windows machines at one location will dial into the UNIX server at another location which is networked on a Windows
network. One of the Windows machines will have broadband access. All will share the broadband connection with two having limits of the dial
up at 56k.

Thanks for any tips.

Best,
Ray