[plug] Greetings All - Advice Sought

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Fri May 14 15:40:04 WST 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 linuxlist at perthmagic.com wrote:
> I don't know if it is customary here to introduce oneself but to save time, I will take the risk.
>
> My name is Ray, I live in Balga, work in Tuart Hill, and I am building a Linux server after 25 years of being away from a UNIX environment.
> I feel as if I am in the right neighborhood but the keys to the houses don't work. Sound familiar?
>
> My goal is to build a the server for a Windows XP network where one Windows machine is the gateway to a broadband link and the Linux box
> allows me to dial in from another location and use the broadband via a 56k link. My learning curve on Linux is smooth but not rapid. If
> anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any advice on making it work.
>
> I have a diagram for the actual intended network at:
> http://www.hawksnest.info/images/wan.pdf
>
> To summarize, two Windows machines at one location will dial into the UNIX server at another location which is networked on a Windows
> network. One of the Windows machines will have broadband access. All will share the broadband connection with two having limits of the dial
> up at 56k.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
Hi Ray,

Assuming you have the linux machine already talking to the windows box
(and beyond via adsl) all you need it to get pppd set up to accept
incoming calls from the phone and connect the computers on the other end
and routing to pass the packets from the dial up to the lan (or iptables
to do NAT if you prefer).

If you can give us an indication as to where you are up to and getting
stuck then I'm sure that people here can help you (I'm not too hot on the
ppp stuff myself).

Regards,
--
Mark O'Shea