[plug] Greetings All - Advice Sought

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Sat May 15 14:05:00 WST 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 linuxlist at perthmagic.com wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I've loaded Mandrake 9.2 and am awaiting the Mandrake 10 Final
> disks to arrive. I ordered the pre-release from an east coast company.
> I've been mostly playing around relearning all that I have forgotten and
> laughing at what has changed from my early days.

I've not used Mandrake but I've heard that it came originally from RedHat
so it might have all the configuration that you might want to change for
networking or firewalling in the same place (as many pages that google
will turn up when you, no doubt, search for guides/faqs will be written
for redhat).

> As to getting stuck, I am far from that point still awaiting broadband at
> the house. My intention is to use broadband at home and 56k from our
> shop since we don't do any downloading to speak of. When I do
> download a large file, I want to park it on the Linux box, which has a
> shameless 38 gig of space left.
Well you're probably not going to use a lot of that space.  Maybe a few
megs at the most.  If the linux box is going to be on all the time then
you could use this space with samba (www.samba.org) to use it as a file
server for your windows machines.

> I'm willing to do the hard yards and whip this conglomerate into shape
> but am only at the drawing board stage at the moment.

Well if you are willing to do the hard yards then don't worry, you have
the right attitude and will make it work in no time.

> I have my Linux machine here with me at the office all day right now.
> When I get it functioning the way I want, I will bring it to the house and
> pray for an easy final installation.

Well you should be able to get your getty program to be able to use a null
modem cable for testing locally.  The options will be in the man pages or
explained on the internet somewhere.

Here's the first page I got up by googling:
http://www.sprint.net.au/~terbut/usefulbox/mgettydialin.htm

seems to do pretty much what you want, just for different reasons.

Regards,
--
Mark O'Shea