[plug] Greetings All - Advice Sought

linuxlist at perthmagic.com linuxlist at perthmagic.com
Fri May 14 15:55:25 WST 2004

On 14 May 2004 at 8:40, Mark O'Shea wrote:

> Assuming you have the linux machine already talking to the windows box
> (and beyond via adsl) all you need it to get pppd set up to accept
> incoming calls from the phone and connect the computers on the other end
> and routing to pass the packets from the dial up to the lan (or iptables
> to do NAT if you prefer).

Mark,

I've loaded Mandrake 9.2 and am awaiting the Mandrake 10 Final
disks to arrive. I ordered the pre-release from an east coast company.
I've been mostly playing around relearning all that I have forgotten and
laughing at what has changed from my early days.

> If you can give us an indication as to where you are up to and getting
> stuck then I'm sure that people here can help you (I'm not too hot on the
> ppp stuff myself).

As to getting stuck, I am far from that point still awaiting broadband at
the house. My intention is to use broadband at home and 56k from our
shop since we don't do any downloading to speak of. When I do
download a large file, I want to park it on the Linux box, which has a
shameless 38 gig of space left.

I'm willing to do the hard yards and whip this conglomerate into shape
but am only at the drawing board stage at the moment.

I have my Linux machine here with me at the office all day right now.
When I get it functioning the way I want, I will bring it to the house and
pray for an easy final installation.

Ray