[plug] winfs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat May 15 19:29:45 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 13:08, Garry wrote:

> Point taken, but I was thinking of the filesystem, NFS and the locate
> database combined. I wasn't specific enough.

Aha. The "searching" they're talking about goes well beyond filenames
and into arbitrary metadata. Locate would be nowhere near enough, nor in
fact would a full data index of all files, as that wouldn't "understand"
the files. The Oracle FS mentioned by Steve is closer to what they're
talking about.

Think locate, but built into the filesystem and capable of indexing
things like the <title> attribute of an HTML document, the Author and
Creator fields in PDFs, JPEG EXIF data, etc.

Craig Ringer