[plug] winfs

Sham Chukoury chukoury at arach.net.au
Sun May 16 13:48:14 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 12:02, Craig Ringer wrote:

<snip>

> Hans Reiser is working on things in the other direction (which makes
> more sense to me). Check out http://namesys.com/ for some interesting,
> though long and often hard going, reading.

Yeah, I recently googled for info about Microsoft's WinFS, then wondered
if any linux filesystems were working towards what WinFS is trying to
be. I eventually stumbled upon namesys.com and its rather long
discussion of the reiserfs design, as well as Hans's whitepaper about
filesystems and semantics. Rather good read, albeit quite long.

I thought I'd give reiserfs4 a go, to see what the new features were all
about, but reiserfs4 for kernel 2.6 is still in experimental stage. Any
pluggers using reiserfs4 at all? Thoughts/comments?

§:)