[plug] VNC help.

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 18 10:09:53 WST 2004

At 01:53 18/05/2004 +0000, Senectus wrote:
>Just for something to do I installed VNC on my home desktop, so I can RDP
>to my home server then VNC to the Linux box behind it (until I remake my
>server with something a little more elegent than a win2k box :-P ).
>
>I installed vnc then ran "vncserver" input the password when asked and
>that was it.. but I can't seem to connect to it from the windows version
>of VNC.. Doesn't even ask me for the password it just bounces me back like
>VNC isn't running..
>What do you think I'm missing..?

What does a ps -A reveal?   There should be an Xvnc process running.   Also
be aware that vnc uses ports 5900+screen_number so for the first session
(1) you should allow traffic on port 5901.   Thus firewalling could be an
issue.

On the Linux machine you did something like ...
vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16
... and it asked you to enter a password, yes?

HTH,
Denis