[plug] VNC help.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 18 10:40:37 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 09:53, Senectus - wrote:

> I installed vnc then ran "vncserver" input the password when asked and that
> was it.. but I can't seem to connect to it from the windows version of VNC..
> Doesn't even ask me for the password it just bounces me back like VNC isn't
> running..
> What do you think I'm missing..?

A display number. If you're also running an X server on the machine with
the VNC server, the VNC server will pick a higher display number. This
changes the port you need to access. It will probably tell you what
display it's started on.

You connect to it using an address like:

hostname:displaynumber

(most likely hostname:1 )

You can use a VNC server that screen-scrapes X, but it'll be slow and
ugly by comparison. You might want to try setting up built-in vnc
support for the X server if you want a native display exported over VNC.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xf4vnc/

> I dont think Bastard goes anywhere near to describing the unmitigated scum
> sucking, bottom feeding toerag that is me. But hey  who knew shit could be
> worth so much  - Simon Travaglia BOFH (Could have easily been Darl McBride
> that said it though)

Any chance you can put a -- separator at the top of this sig? That way
mail clients can auto-trim it on reply, etc.

Craig Ringer