[plug] Hi, Newbie here. Got some questions, please.

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Wed May 19 06:17:51 WST 2004

Hiya all,

Hey mate, welcome

> I have just installed Mandrake 10.0 and the install went well.  I was a
> WinXP user but now, after that relatively pain free installation, will use
> Linux more and more.

Good to see, of course having your cake and eating it too is what I
have: Dual Boot: Windows XP (Gaming) Linux Mandrake 10 Official
(Everything else that is not gaming)

> The Firewall that comes with Mandrake, can I have that running all the
> time, and how much configuration do I need to know.  How do I get the
> firewall *to* run?

It's easy in Mandrake, click the star > system > configuration >
configure my computer.
In this program find "Security" and click that, In there, there is an
option called "Firewall" pretty easy.
You will then need to enable your ports you want traffic to get through.
There are check boxes, tick what you want. To enable specific ports,
click "Advanced" (i think) and a bar will come up, type your ports in
like this 5900/tcp [This says that port 5900, using TCP/IP protocol is
letting traffic through].

> Can I change the refresh setting on my monitor without having to name my
> monitor?  I have a generic "viewmaster" monitor.

Hmmm i'm really not sure about that one....
> Anyway, that will do for the moment

- Regards,
             Brock