[plug] Hi, Newbie here. Got some questions, please.

Lee Jamieson lee.jamieson at bigpond.com
Wed May 19 09:54:09 WST 2004

Hi all, again.  Please excuse my newbieness...

>You will need the acm.o (Abstract Control Model) module, hopefully it is
>included with your distro. if not, you will need to either get a version
>matching your kernel somewhere, or recompile your kernel with the 'USB Modem
>(CDC ACM) support' option turned on. This will build the acm.o module. You
>can check if the acm module already exists with 'locate acm.o', and if it is
>loaded with 'lsmod | grep acm' (without the quotes of course).

I went to the console, typed in "locate acm.o" but nothing happened, the
console just put up a new line.
Does this mean that it is not installed?

>Of course you will need kernel USB support enabled, but I would expect
>that to
>be the case anyway these days. Check that it is enabled in the bios too if
>you are reusing an older motherboard.

I *think* I have USB support enabled.

>When you plug in the NT1 the acm.o module should automatically be loaded. It
>will provide access to your NT1 as a standard AT modem through /dev/ttyACM0
>
>Diagnostic messages can be found in /var/log/syslog on Debian, there
>should be
>a similar file on Mandrake but it may be somewhere else.
>
>Set up your ppp connection with the usual graphical tools under Mandrake,
>using the above /dev/ttyACM0 port for the modem. Then when it is working as a
>single 64k connection, check the optional AT command strings and add the
>following for 128k with Dynamic Voice Override:
>AT!T0=0!T4=1

When I try to set up a ISDN connection - one of the options for a "new
internet connection", I get an error saying " ISDN connection wizard has
not be ported to new wizard layer"  Can anyone tell me what is happening there?

>You will have to set your firewall to allow traffic through the NT1, which
>will probably be ppp0. ifconfig will show you. I don't know how to do
>firewalls on Mandrake though.

Ok, I think I can do that.

Thanks, again.

Lee Jamieson