[plug] Hi, Newbie here. Got some questions, please.

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Wed May 19 12:47:50 WST 2004

Hi again Lee
On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:54 am, Lee Jamieson wrote:

> I went to the console, typed in "locate acm.o" but nothing happened, the
> console just put up a new line.
> Does this mean that it is not installed?
Unfortunately, yes. locate will list any file with a name (or part of the
name) that matches. type 'man locate' or 'locate --help' for more on how
locate works. By the way 'man' will give you help on most programs and
configuration files on your system.
I think Mandrake has a graphical package manager, see if you can find the acm
module in there and install it. If not, maybe another Mandrake user on this
list can help you out with more on making it yourself.

> I *think* I have USB support enabled.
Good for the moment.

> When I try to set up a ISDN connection - one of the options for a "new
> internet connection", I get an error saying " ISDN connection wizard has
> not be ported to new wizard layer"  Can anyone tell me what is happening
> there?
When you use the acm.o module to access the NT1, it makes it look like a
simple AT serial modem attached to /dev/ttyACM0, completely bypassing all the
ISDN stuff. The ISDN wizard (I believe) is only needed for a custom ISDN PCI
card. So use the setup for a 'generic' serial modem on /dev/ttyACM0, then
modify the custom AT commands later.
Note that this will not work until you have the acm module loaded, so you need
to resolve that first.

> Thanks, again.
>
> Lee Jamieson

Good Luck! :)

P.S. I will be busy for the next couple of days and I will probably not get to
check my mail very often, so I welcome anyone else to hop in on this
thread...

Steve

--
"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill