[plug] 4 port nic pci card

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu May 20 14:18:08 WST 2004

Hello,

I just bought a Nway 4 port pci card. It is marketed as a router card.
It appears to be based on the Tulip chipset and the TP interface
supports auto MDIX TX/RX swap.

I've so far got one of the ports working but I can't as yet get any joy
out of the other three. I'm expecting each port to come up as a
different eth* but I'll accept other forms of enlightenment.

The test machine is a PII running Debian Sid with kernel 2.4.22-1-386
(more than happy if upgrade if need be) and already has one Realtek
chipset card (eth0) which is working fine.

netstat -i gives:

Kernel Interface table
Iface   MTU Met   RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR   TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP
TX-OVR Flg
eth0   1500 0     14581      0      0      0     277      0      0
0 BMRU
eth1   1500 0         0      0      0      0       0      0      0
0 BMRU
lo    16436 0         5      0      0      0       5      0      0
0 LRU

The entry in Kudzu for the pci card is:

class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth1
driver: tulip
desc: "Linksys|Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100"
network.hwaddr: 00:02:2A:CB:4D:4A
vendorId: 1317
deviceId: 0985
subVendorId: 1113
subDeviceId: 1216
pciType: 1
pcibus:  0
pcidev:  9
pcifn:  0

trying to do an ifconfig for anything > eth1 such as eth2 delivers:

eth2 error fetching interface information: Device not found

The readme file on the driver cd tells you to download the drivers from
an FTP site at NASA that no longer seems to exist.

Here is a link to the file:

http://www.arach.net.au/~pcaston/linux.txt

I assume I have setup my /etc/interfaces file correctly with a static IP
for each supposed interface. I will post it through if you require to
see it.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to get the other
interfaces working.

thanks,

Chris Caston

--
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.