[plug] 4 port nic pci card

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu May 20 14:49:00 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 14:26, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2004, quoth Chris Caston:
>
> > I just bought a Nway 4 port pci card. It is marketed as a router card.
> > It appears to be based on the Tulip chipset and the TP interface
> > supports auto MDIX TX/RX swap.
>
> Are you sure it's a real 4-port card, not an ethernet card with built-in
> hub? They were real popular a while back.

Yeah actually the card did look very familiar. It was a spinning image
of the board inside of my Nway switch except with a pci interface!

> > The readme file on the driver cd tells you to download the drivers from
> > an FTP site at NASA that no longer seems to exist.
>
> That "FTP site at NASA" was the official site for the Linux Ethernet
> drives by Donald Becker, which have since moved to
> http://www.scyld.com/network.html (although they seem to be reorganising
> that atm)

thanks

> Your linux.txt file doesn't say anything about multiple interfaces (it
> only talks about eth0) and since it references the official tulip driver,
> I'd say if your tulip driver only detects one interface, your card most
> likely only has one real interface.

d'oh!
Ah well at least you saved me from bulk ordering these :) Thanks Matt.

> Try plugging your patch lead into one of the other ports on the card. I
> bet it still works as eth1.. :)

Yeap, it's as you say.

Thanks for your quick reply.

BTW do you think one of these in a machine running Ethereal would make a
great swap for a real switch when you want to monitor network traffic?

>  - Matt

regards,

Chris Caston

--
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.