[plug] Cheap Laser for Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 20 15:49:25 WST 2004

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Have you considered second-hand? I recently picked up a HP Laserjet 4M for
> *ahem* free. ^_^;; It's a bit dusty, but works fine, and it seems they're
> still widely used enough to make toner refills easy to come by. (And this one
> had a Jet Direct (network) card too!)

Yeah; the 4M is a wonderful printer. *powers on 4MPlus*. They're easy to
repair and maintain, parts and toner are still around, they're really
tough, they take STANDARD MEMORY, they're networkable, and most do both
PostScript and PCL ... I like them a lot.

I used to swear by the 4MV, but the 4M/4MPlus are much smaller, much
easier to service, and probably even tougher. They're much easier to
unjam, too.

We have a recent HP desktop laser for one of the staff at work, and on
several occasions I've had to take a screwdriver to it to clear a jam.
Not cool.

> You could probably pick up something similar (and even a bit newer) for a
> coupla hundred. Works fine for small office stuff, although obviously there's
> no warranty. Didn't Computer Angels have a few?

I already wrote privately about it. We do have a couple left, and there
is another door sale planned fairly soon.

Craig Ringer