[plug] Linus didn't write Linux (some idiot says so)

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Fri May 21 14:18:18 WST 2004

Oh look man. I agree SCO unix is an arcane old dinosour. My point was,
that for what its worth, it used to be a reasonably solid old system. More
to the point, I'd like to see all operating systems made free (I probably
shouldnt of said public domain there).

The unix I learned on was System V. And I do have some fond memories about
that.... er.... like figuring out how to get root by exploiting terminal
insecurity on login. and discovering to my joy that under certain  conditions
that suid(0) can actually be made to work!! Thems where the days.
Shit, at my old tafe, one of the unix boxes had the root password
'password'. Twas little wonder I got in so much trouble all the time those
days.... well that and my refusal to comprehend cobol. Well, that was ten
years ago, and for what its worth, I'd still love to fiddle around inside
unix propper and decode a few mysteries that I'd still love answers for...
like why the hell anyone could get suid(0) root just by asking  for 2
seconds after a root user OR process logged in. madness writ large.

"Must not Sleep! Must warn others!"
-Aesop.
Shayne O'Neill. Indymedia. Fun.
http://www.perthimc.asn.au