[plug] All in 1 motherboards

Kev k.downes at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 22 10:48:36 WST 2004

Milan,

  I have an MSI KM2M Combo -L with an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ on it.  (I
view Intel as the hardware equivalent of M$ !!)  It has a Via KM266
chipset, S3 Pro-Savage DDR video set, AC97 sound (Realtek ALC650), Via
Rhine II fast ethernet, in fact on-board everything.  Mandrake 10
community and Mandrake 10 release both install flawlessly (release is
better), detect ALL of my hardware and set it up properly.  I also have
a PCI RAID card installed which it will automagically detect and set up
correctly.  The only thing it trips on is that it always says I have a
Sony 15SF2, when in fact I have a Sony 17SF2.  That doesn't make any
functional difference and it's easy to correct.

The bst part is that you said, "I am trying to put together a computer
on a rather limited budget."  I did my whole thing in Jan this year
using 2nd hand bits for about $320.00.  I had to buy 256M of RAM to make
it up to the 512M I now have, and later on I bought a new 120G HDD.  I
use the RAID card not as a RAID card but just for the tertiary and
quartenary IDE channels.  It was the cheapest way to use the 40M, 30M,
8M and 6M x 2 HDDs I had lying around.

Hope this gives you some hope of your own.  Contact me if you'd like
some detail/help.

Cheers
Kev Downes