[plug] All in 1 motherboards

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat May 22 11:11:07 WST 2004

On Saturday 22 May 2004 10:48, Kev wrote:

>   I have an MSI KM2M Combo -L with an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ on it.  (I
> view Intel as the hardware equivalent of M$ !!)  It has a Via KM266

The cheek!

> chipset, S3 Pro-Savage DDR video set, AC97 sound (Realtek ALC650), Via
> Rhine II fast ethernet, in fact on-board everything.  Mandrake 10
> community and Mandrake 10 release both install flawlessly (release is
> better), detect ALL of my hardware and set it up properly.  I also have
> a PCI RAID card installed which it will automagically detect and set up
> correctly.  The only thing it trips on is that it always says I have a
> Sony 15SF2, when in fact I have a Sony 17SF2.  That doesn't make any
> functional difference and it's easy to correct.

I'm testing SuSE 9.1 on an ASUS A7N8X-VM µATX board with Athlon
XP2800+ CPU and 512MB of RAM (total). It worked "OK" with 9.0 which
has a 2.4 kernel but the video hardware probes on the 2.6.4 kernel of
9.1 caused it to lock up. I jave just upgraded the BIOS and it looks
more stable now.

The ASUS is *not* a cheap board. Still, integrated video isn't free.

> The bst part is that you said, "I am trying to put together a computer
> on a rather limited budget."  I did my whole thing in Jan this year
> using 2nd hand bits for about $320.00.  I had to buy 256M of RAM to make
> it up to the 512M I now have, and later on I bought a new 120G HDD.  I
> use the RAID card not as a RAID card but just for the tertiary and
> quartenary IDE channels.  It was the cheapest way to use the 40M, 30M,
> 8M and 6M x 2 HDDs I had lying around.

Baffled. You have hard drives that small and you still bother
connecting them? :-)