[plug] 3c509 Removal

raven at themaw.net raven at themaw.net
Sun May 23 09:51:03 WST 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Michael Collard wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 23:33, raven at themaw.net wrote:
> > I'm not a Mandrake user but are you sure about this.
> >
> > Shouldn't he be changing the alias to refer to the correct driver for the
> > network port in question?
> >
> > aka
> >
> > alias eth0 3c509

> > alias eth0 <other driver module>
> >
> > Shouldn't the Mandrake utils do this automatically?
>
> Mandrake 9.2 is as you stated above but we're talking about Mandrake 10
> (2.6 kernel). I believe the way modules are handled are far different,
> especially this card (its non PnP) and the way I used to load modules
> for the card under slack was /etc/modules.

How is userspace handling of modules different in 2.6. It seems much the
same to me apart from the required update to the module tools to handle
the .ko extention. AFAIK the .ko is just the .o module with additional
symbol version info. compiled in.

I must have missed something somehow as I've been working with 2.6 for
months on RH9, FC1 and a little on Gentoo.

Ian