[plug] ** Announcing the PLUG Installfest, 18 July 2004 **

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun May 23 21:21:11 WST 2004

                     ---------------------------
                     PLUG Installfest, July 2004
                     ---------------------------

              http://www.plug.org.au/events/installfest/

WHEN:   Sunday, 18th July, 2004
        10am 'til 5pm

WHERE:  Commander Computer Networks
        47 Burswood Road, Burswood

WHY:    To have Linux installed on your computer.
        To help other people install Linux on theirs.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
----------------

The Installfest won't be possible without the assistance of helpful
volunteers.  Whether you have tables and chairs, hardware, or time and
knowledge to assist others, any contribution you can make is very
welcome!

We have: a venue with lots of space, networking gear, a server with
Linux distros on (thanks to Linux IT) and an overworked committee to
help make sure everything runs smoothly.

We would like: tables, lots and lots of helpers who know enough to
install Linux on other people's machines, extra power boards, two or
three snazzy show-off "demo" machines running Linux, extra networking
gear (switches, cables, NICs).  Plus spare keyboards, mice and
monitors for those who will inevitably forget to bring them, CDs and
CD burners.  We would also appreciate experts in particular areas of
configuring Linux, particularly those who know their distribution
inside out, or have experience getting more unusual hardware to go.

Other ways you can help include setting up and packing away (lifting
gear around and plugging/unplugging it); and making sure that the
software and network infrastructure is all set up nicely.  Ideally
we'll have a way to netboot the installers for most distros off most
common ethernet cards (saving on CDs).  It'd also be really nice if we
could provide a server with gobs of disk space for people to back up
their systems (temporarily!) using partimage in some automated way if
they're scared of losing their Windows system.

If your favourite distribution isn't in the list on the registration
page, let us know, and if we think it's important enough, we will make
sure we have it there on the day and put it in the list for later
registrants.

We could also /really/ do with someone or three to help out with
publicity.  The Installfest wouldn't be much fun if PLUGgers were the
only ones to turn up!  There will be posters.  Those of you with
artistic talent should seriously think about helping out with the
design of the posters, too.  Then, one and all can help by plastering
them all over Perth.

Even those who aren't technically inclined can still help us with the
barbecue lunch.  At the moment we need people to cook food, implements
to cook food with and most importantly a gas barbecue.

If you're thinking of helping, please register your interest, telling
us what you can bring and/or do, and when at

        http://www.plug.org.au/events/installfest/register

CONTACTING THE ORGANISERS

The Installfest is organised by the Perth Linux Users' Group.
Installfest-related e-mail should be sent to:

        installfest at plug.org.au

Well, that's all for now.  Hope to see many of you there on the day!

Regards,

Cameron.