[plug] RAID 0 - invalid raid superblock (yay!)

Lachlan Evans lachlan.evans at westnet.com.au
Mon May 24 04:17:27 WST 2004

Hi guys,

I've had a rather interesting day, today; my main storage machine's main
board went a little bit crazy.

I (used to) have a software RAID-0 array, 2x160GB, almost filled to the
brim.  From what I've gathered, the BIOS/IDE controller went mental on the
old main board and couldn't detect the drives properly.  Sometimes it'd say
that there's a 130GB and a 100GB drive, 130GB and 8GB - all kinds of
combinations, all completely wrong.

So, I changed over the board, got the system booted (and drives detected
properly!), and now I have these lovely messages in dmesg:

md: raid0 personality registered as nr 2
md: md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
 [events: 00000000]
md: invalid raid superblock magic on hdc1
md: hdc1 has invalid sb, not importing!
md: could not import hdc1!
 [events: 00000000]
md: invalid raid superblock magic on hdd1
md: hdd1 has invalid sb, not importing!
md: could not import hdd1!
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.

Which, to my understanding says the array is stuffed.  However, the data
still "should be" intact, because I haven't written to the array since I
noticed that the drives weren't being detected properly, although I cannot
guarantee that.

So, the real question: Is the array completely knackered? Should I just
start again, and restore the backups I have? Or, is there some possible way
I can recover (hopefully with backup raid superblocks of sorts)?

Thanks in advance,

Lachlan