[plug] Gnumeric saves the day

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue May 25 13:40:34 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 16:27, Ryan wrote:
> Howdy PLUG,
>
> There are always stories on here about corrupt MS Office documents being
> recovered by OpenOffice etc, but I've never experienced it.
>
> Today here, someone's 2005 budget spreadsheet decided it would show up
> completely blank.  Wordpad showed all the data appeared to be in the
> file, but Excel thought otherwise, while presenting no errors.  It just
> looked like an empty 230kb file.
>
> Gnumeric opened it first time, re-saved it, and all was well in the
> world. As an added bonus I am no longer to blame for not having backups
> of the documents they created less that 3 hours ago on their C drives :)

Yeah I'll second that. Gnumeric is a good little app. Although I do all
my serious number crunching in OO.o calc I usually use Gnumeric to open
spreadsheets that people send me in xls format.

Sometimes OO.o will complain and be not able to open documents that are
passworded for read-protection whereas Gnumeric just dances a perfect
number.