[plug] tcpdump or tethereal parameters

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue May 25 18:55:37 WST 2004

Thanks Luke, again much appreciated.

Jon

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> ldlist at westnet.com.au 3:56:54 pm 25/05/2004 >>>
In tcpdump, I don't think there's actually any specific filter options
that will let you do this. However, the filters _will_ let you delve
into the data inside a packet. So you can look at the source and
destination port fields of the TCP header, and evaluate that. These
fields are both two bytes long and sit at byte offset 0 and 2,
respectively. You'll need to do some hex conversions and bit masking

If you're interested in ports greater than 4096,
4096 decimal = 0x1000

Source port greater than 4096:
# tcpdump -s0 -n 'tcp[0:2] & 0xffff > 0x1000'

Destination port greater than 4096:
# tcpdump -s0 -n 'tcp[2:2] & 0xffff > 0x1000'

Either source or destination port greater than 4096:
# tcpdump -s0 -n '(tcp[0:2] & 0xffff > 0x1000) or (tcp[2:2] & 0xffff >
0x1000)'

Cheers
Luke

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.linux.org.au