[plug] shared swap partitions?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed May 26 23:49:47 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 23:31, John Knight wrote:
> G'day!
>
> I'm thinking of doing some distro reviews for newsforge, and I'm gonna be
> playing with a hdds a bit! ;) If I can share the swap partition that my
> current installtion is using, that'd save hdd space and I could use all of a
> 4 gig hdd for pure OS and my normal hdds would have the swap. Would this
> adversely affect my normal installation? Can they both use the same swap
> partition?

It should be okay as long as you don't use it for software suspend
functions. You chose what swap space you want to use during the install
and many installers will detect the swap space that you already have
setup.

In fact I think it is better to have your swap partition on a different
drive/controller for performance reasons.