[plug] Email addresses and family history - was Re: [plug] telstra dns borked

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu May 27 13:35:44 WST 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Shayne O'Neill wrote:

> Eh...
>
> Folks internet connection. My mother is a geneology(sp?) nut, and her
> email address is all over the internet.

The Correct spelling is "genealogy". The problem is that most people
mispronounce the word. For years, I pronounced in "jeen-ee-ollogy", as
do many people, but then I woke up to the correct spelling one day -
checked it in the dictionary, and found that I, like most people, had
been mispronouncing the word, and, consequently, misspelling the word.

> I was strongly imploring iinet, but it seems she wouldnt of been able to
> keep her address.

This is one reason that I found that having a domain name, is a really
good idea.

As a genealogy person, subscribed to about 100 genealogy mailing lists,
apart from the non-genealogy mailing lists, and, administering a number
of lists, It is much work to change email addresses when changing ISP's.

Also, contacts that accumulate in the course of the research, would all
need to be advised of change of address.

So, the simplest thing to do, I found, is to register a domain name, and
advise all known contacts, and, change mailing lists subscriptions to
the domain name address, and, the changes should only need to be made
once for each instance, then, the domain name email address remains with
the person for as long as the person maintains the registration and
hosting of the domain name. Another thing that would need to be done, is
when the person uses forums (fora?) on the Internet, such as
genforum.com, the person need to post a message in the subject threads
in the foums where the person has posted messages, advising of a change
of address so that people reading the fourums, can easily find the new
email address.

The costs are well worth it.

Also, with a domain name, depending on the ISP hosting the domain,
email aliasing means that your mother could also have an email address,
for example, maternal.genealogy at oneill.org, apart from her personal
email address, eg shaynes.mother at oneill.org, and so split email for her,
into different email addresses, and, it can make using email more
efficient, depending on how she has her email set up and what email
application she uses.

Also, as a genealogist, having a domain name, means that any genealogy
information published on the Internet (apart from other material
published on the Internet), on a person's web site, remains, as it
appears to those seeking the material, to be at a constant address,
regardless of the ISP being used.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale