[plug] More questions... please be gentle :)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri May 28 13:37:25 WST 2004

Lee Jamieson wrote:

| This is the list:
[...]
| Linux-nonfb
| 263-7
[...]
| I don't know what the other two are.

At a rough guess, I'd say that Linux-nonfb would be without the
framebuffer (i.e. text mode only), and 263-7 would be a 2.6.3-7 kernel
(though it sounds like this is the default from the file name you
mentioned below).

I'll take a stab at your other problem even though I'm not sure what
it is that you're trying to get working.

Lee Jamieson wrote:

| I also did  lsmod | greb acm
| it came back with -
|
| cdc-acm  10016  0
| usbcore   99132  5  cdc-acm,hid,uhic-hcd
|
| this means absolutely nothing to me, I'm hoping someone will be able to
| give an insight into what's happening.

lsmod gives a list of kernel modules (mostly these are what you'd
think of as drivers, but not always) that are loaded, and grep filters
out only the lines that have the string "acm" in them.  The left-hand
column is the name of the modules, at the rightmost column lists what
other modules are using them - so you know that cdc-acm (whatever that
is) is loaded, and that it's using functions in the usbcore module.
This is, I think, a good sign that at least something is working :-)
although it doesn't guarantee that the cdc-acm module will actually
talk to your device properly.

I'd guess that you've got the right driver for your hardware loaded -
this was probably done automatically by a program called hotplug - so
it's just a matter of figuring out how you actually use it.  You
mentioned connecting to the net so I suppose it's an ADSL modem of
some sort, but the only ADSL modems I've used have been ethernet ones
that do everything in hardware and Just Work when you plug them in;
I'm not sure what you'd need to do for a USB one.

HTH,

Cameron.