[plug] More questions... please be gentle :)

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Fri May 28 15:03:08 WST 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:06 pm, Lee Jamieson wrote:
> Hiya all.
>
> I found something with "acm" in it, but it's not acm.o.  it's in
> /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/driver/usb/class/cdc-acm.ko.gz  Is this the
> right one?

Looks like a compressed copy of the cdc-acm module ???

> I also did  lsmod | greb acm
> it came back with -
>
> cdc-acm  10016  0
> usbcore   99132  5  cdc-acm,hid,uhic-hcd

The last line above says the to cdc-acm module is already loaded, so it must
be either somewhere on your modules path, or included in the kernel.

I am running a 2.4.22 kernel, 2.6.x seems to have changed the acm.o to
cdc-acm.o. I also found a couple of messages saying that around january there
was some problem with the cdc-acm module that stopped it detecting usb
modems, but it has been fixed since then. Assuming the source is still in the
same place in the kernel tree, I have (on 2.4.22):
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb/acm.c
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/usb/acm.o
and the installed module:
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/usb/acm.o

There was no other configuration required on my system - once the acm module
was loaded. I could immediately talk to the NT1 through /dev/ttyACM0.

> this means absolutely nothing to me, I'm hoping someone will be able to
> give an insight into what's happening.
>

> So, the question is:  Is this what I need to make my NT1+2 connectable via
> usb so i can dial into the net?

Some ideas off the top of my head :)

Try unplugging the usb cable, and see if the cdc-acm module is unloaded, and
is reloaded when you plug it back in.

Check if the ACM device has been created:
min:~# ls -l /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout  166,   0 May 25 12:42 /dev/ttyACM0

If the /dev/ttyACM0 device is there, try connecting to it with a terminal
emulator such as minicom, and see if you can talk to the modem. If minicom
connects, type AT followed by the enter key, and see if you get an OK back.
All the standard AT commands should work.

You may need to link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyACM0:
ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/modem

If you get this far, then it's probably a ppp / chat script problem, but lets
leave it at that for the moment!

If you haven't already seen it, check http://www.linux-usb.org/ for more
information.

Steve

--
"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill