[plug] Mandrake 10.0

Ian Sherriffs iansherriffs at ozonline.com.au
Fri May 28 22:33:38 WST 2004

I feel like a rank amateur amongst all you experts.

I have the 4 CD ROMs of Mandrake 10.0 Official, which I have been trying to install on my old P166 with 80MB RAM. which should be enough (just).  I had hoped to format the HD and get rid of all the old junk there.   I have tried to boot from Disk 1 and Disc 2, but nothing happens, and eventually Windows starts up again.  So I made the special Mandrake boot floppy, and this works, but when it finishes I get a screen that says 'Error:    No CDROM device found' .  When I hit OK (ENTER) it reads 'Please Insert the Additional Drivers floppy'.   Hit OK again, and get a list of things to look for, but again get 'No CDROM device found'.

At Mandrakelinux.com only one Liteon is listed as "Known hardware" - that is LTR 24102b CD-RW.   My CDROM is a rather noisy Liteon 52X  LTR-525S (I think).

Can anyone tell me what to do (please keep it simple)
Thanks,
Ian Sherriffs.