[plug] Mandrake 10.0

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri May 28 22:58:31 WST 2004

Hi,

Ian Sherriffs wrote:

| I have the 4 CD ROMs of Mandrake 10.0 Official, which I have been
| trying to install on my old P166 with 80MB RAM. which should be
| enough (just).

One thing to bear in mind is that any modern Linux desktop will be
rather sluggish on that kind of hardware - even compared to the
existing Windows system.  It might be okay for trying out Linux, but
probably not a system you'd actually want to use for much!

| I have tried to boot from Disk 1 and Disc 2, but nothing happens,
| and eventually Windows starts up again.

I presume you've made sure the BIOS can find the CDROM drive, and have
told it to try booting from the CD before the hard drive?

| So I made the special Mandrake boot floppy, and this works, but when
| it finishes I get a screen that says 'Error: No CDROM device found'.
| When I hit OK (ENTER) it reads 'Please Insert the Additional Drivers
| floppy'.  Hit OK again, and get a list of things to look for, but
| again get 'No CDROM device found'.

That sounds a bit odd, but I'm not Mandrake expert and don't know
where to begin debugging it. :-/

| At Mandrakelinux.com only one Liteon is listed as "Known hardware" -
| that is LTR 24102b CD-RW.  My CDROM is a rather noisy Liteon 52X
| LTR-525S (I think).

The chances are your Liteon will work as well as any other generic IDE
CD-ROM drive, even if it isn't specifically listed.  (It /is/ IDE,
right?  If it's anything more peculiar, e.g. hanging off a sound card
or something, you may well be out of luck.)

Does the CD-ROM drive work under Windows?

Cameron.