[plug] Booting ISO image files

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Sat May 29 12:54:42 WST 2004

Is there a way to boot an "image" direct from a file, loop-back style,
rather than a partition or CD? I have this dream of a magic boot-loader
which lists a pile of images (Debian Woody install, Debian Test install,
MoviX, Knoppix), and can boot any one on select. Now imagine that on a
bootable USB HDD? How hard would it to be to do this?

The main technical "Gotcha" I can think of is that the images would
probably need to be unfragmented on the disk. Perhaps a special partition
format that is dedicated to sub-partitioned of other images?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |