[plug] Booting ISO image files

Martin marty at supine.com
Sat May 29 15:59:13 WST 2004

$quoted_author = "Trevor Phillips" ;

> Is there a way to boot an "image" direct from a file, loop-back style,
> rather than a partition or CD? I have this dream of a magic boot-loader
> which lists a pile of images (Debian Woody install, Debian Test install,
> MoviX, Knoppix), and can boot any one on select. Now imagine that on a
> bootable USB HDD? How hard would it to be to do this?

have you looked at grub? it has a shell which allows you to boot any
image you have on disk with whatever parameters if you so choose. it
does have a menu config file where you can specify frequently used
setups, but you can edit these too before you boot from them.

not sure if it would work with a USB HDD though.

marty

--
My Everest is not in Nepal,
She's sleeping in the bedroom second right down the hall.

"My Everest" - Lazy Susan