[plug] route problems

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Sat May 29 19:04:56 WST 2004

Mageaere wrote:
| I just installed Debian from the dvd from APC and I am having difficulty
| getting on the net.
|
| At first I had the problem of kppp wanting to authenticate the isp server
| but I fixed that so that is no longer a problem.
|
| When I dial up the connection is made and ifconfig shows that I have
| a ppp connection and it shows the ip address I was assigned and the ip
| address at the isp's end with the netmask of 255.255.255.255.
|
| I can successfull ping the ip address of the isp's end of the ppp link
| but nothing behind it. Have tried automatic DNS server assignment and
| manually settign the DNS servers without any joy.
|
| Then I decided to have a look at the route table and something wierd
| happened. I type in the route command as root and press enter. I get
| the headings for the route entries and then the program hangs. I get
| exactly the same thing when I use netstat -r. I then need to ctrl-c out
| of it to do anything else.
|
| If anybody has any ideas I could sure use them.
|

| Concerned about your privacy? Follow this link to get
| FREE encrypted email: https://www.hushmail.com/?l=2
|
| Free, ultra-private instant messaging with Hush Messenger
| https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434
|
| Promote security and make money with the Hushmail Affiliate Program:
| https://www.hushmail.com/about.php?subloc=affiliate&l=427

You might find the route command is just VERY slow. I've had that
before, but it is fast atm.

In /etc/resolv.conf , make sure you have one or more entries like these..
nameserver 202.72.191.199
nameserver 203.10.1.9

These are for Westnet, but if you are with a sus ISP with dodgy
nameservers - (bigpond recently from memory..) I guess you could use
another ISP's nameserver as 3rd nameserver. I don't know the netiquette
for this though.. 8^)==

HTH

Garry

- --

If childbirth was that hard, it'd be a man's job.