[plug] PPC Linux question

Matthew Prouse mousematt at webace.com.au
Sat May 29 19:18:54 WST 2004

Hello Everyone

I still have an old G3 clamshell iBook. It's a great little machine -
although I am growing frustrated with Mac OS X's slowness. It would be
so much faster if I could turn Quartz Extreme off! No more shadows, no
more animated menus, no more fancy icon effects. Just a fast, useable
notebook.

I am seriously considering putting Linux on it. I am running Mandrake
10.0 or Fedora Core 1 on every other machine I own. I have not dabbled
in Debian: given that my primary desktop is yet to load a Knoppix CD
without panicking.

Does anyone here have any experience with PPC Mandrakelinux or Yellow
Dog? What's it like to actually use every day?

Thanks

mousematt :-)