[plug] VNC on startup

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 1 00:03:26 WST 2004

On 30/10/2004, at 11:01 PM, Michael Collard wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 20:18 +0800, Brock Woolf wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I am have a working VNC server on my Linux mandrake 10.0  box called:
>> rfbdrake 1.0
>> I would like to be able to get it to run on startup, but I can't
>> figure
>> out how to do it and
>> also because you need to start it up and enter a password after you
>> have started it.
>> Ideally I would like to be able to connect over the network any time
>> and for the VNC server
>> to restart automatically if it dies. I'm not sure if Linux can do
>> this.
>> But I think it probably could?
>> Could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance :)
>
> I was doing VNC stuff before Mandrake got that little tool thing.
> Although this is not exactly what you are asking for, this should be
> what you need.

Thats cool Michael, looks like a start.

> There is a program called x11vnc (part of LibVNCServer-0.6) which
> connects to whatever display its told to then shares it. AFAIK its
> different to mandrake's tool which is tied in with the X server. When I
> want vnc, I ssh in then start it up, and can VNC from anywhere.

I'm gonna go have a look at Xvnc as well as x11vnc and see how they
stack up.
By the way, i am interested in ssh but i'm not too sure of exactly how
it works,
would you be able to explain exactly how ssh tunneling works. And also
what the
requirements are (static/dynamic ip address, etc)
If you know a good site for getting into ssh that would be cool also.

> You can download x11vnc here:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
> group_id=32584&package_id=119006&release_id=257442
>
> To build, just a simple ./configure && make && make install. I'd also
> suggest making a password thingy (no auth by default). If you have any
> problems with this just email me.

Thanks Michael, appreciate the help :)